Under the Never Sky by Veronica Rossi - My Thoughts

Under the Never Sky - Veronica Rossi

Under the Never Sky is a dystopian novel, so the sometimes unfair yet inevitable comparisons to other books in the genre, such as The Hunger Games and Divergent, can be made. I loved it. I fell in love with the characters and the world that Rossi created. The language used has such elegance in its simplicity. It isn't contrived or trying to cover up questionable ideas with flowery words and pretentious prose. It flows beautifully, capturing you in the world and spins a web that draws you in. It was beautiful and captivating to read.

I really enjoyed the dual POV’s told in the third person. The story flowed effortlessly between both Aria and Perry’s viewpoints and the story had a more rounded feel, as we could see into both the main characters heads. I felt both Aria and Perry’s characters were developed well, and I liked both equally. Sometimes I find it hard to connect to the female protagonist; I tend to be a little over critical, or what’s worse, they get overshadowed by other characters. But I thought Aria had strength of character that was both approachable and likeable. She found an inner strength when it would have been easier for her to give up, and that is admirable in anyone, a character in a book or otherwise. I loved Perry’s character. I thought he was such a solid presence in the book, yet he didn’t overshadow Aria; they played off each other really well.

For me, Under the Never Sky ranks on par with my feelings on the Hunger Games – which I loved – just based on my reactions while reading it alone. The first couple of chapters you do feel like you have been thrown in the deep end, but quite quickly you find yourself completely absorbed in the world, with things feeling natural and making sense. Another thing I liked: The revelations and explanations were paced throughout the book, with no huge chunks of info-dumping text to wade through. When something was explained, it was at the right moment for all the pieces to fall into place, and for the story to continue to flow effortlessly. I absolutely loved this book, and I can’t wait to get my hands on part two.